5.26.2016

Meet Brenda KB Anderson

Aine Fascinator
I would like to introduce to you the very creative designer, Brenda KB Anderson.  You may be familiar with her books Beastly Crochet or Crochet Ever After which breathes life into the most magical projects you can imagine.  Her crochet talent and vivid creativity are just wonderful.  You can get lost in her Ravelry page with design after design of adorable and clever creations.

In Vintage Modern Crochet, Brenda designed what in my mind was the perfect mix of modern meets vintage accessory.  Her Aine Fascinator uses Irish Crochet Motifs and combines them with fantastic color for a head turning piece.  We also show you how you can easily adapt it for a headband as well.  I adore this piece and wish I had an event to wear it at!

We got to chat a bit about crochet, here is some of our conversation....

RC: What is it about crochet that inspires you to design in it?
BA: It is so versatile- It lends itself to thick and bulky projects with structure (like slippers or toys, etc) just as easily as delicate lace projects. And since crochet has gotten a bad rap in the past, I feel compelled to prove over and over that you can make beautiful things in crochet. Also- I am a very experimental crocheter and feel as though there is just so much unexplored territory in the field of crochet.

Aine Headband
RC: What is one of your favorite techniques in crochet?
BA: Cables! I love crocheted cables- there are so many different ways to make cables in crochet!

RC: What was the last item that you made for yourself (in any craft)?
BA: Honestly- I hardly ever make things just for myself. Usually I have another recipient in mind when I design things. BUT I have to say, that I selfishly only had myself in mind when I designed Mr. Whistle for the Interweave Crochet special Home issue. He is just a silly little idea that I had and needed to make for myself. I am still waiting to get the sample back, and whenever I am notified of a package coming from interweave- I always hope that it will be him. 

RC: What other crafts do you love?
BA: Sewing (this was my first crafty love), Knitting, painting, ceramics (I am terrible at the wheel, but love hand building- I find the feel and smell of clay super cathartic).

RC: What was your inspiration behind your design in Vintage Modern Crochet?
BA: Mostly I just love fascinators- there is so much room to get creative with them- you can add a little bit of this and a little bit of that, put some netting on it and voila- you have fancy-pants hair accessory that makes heads turn!  I made a crocheted fascinator for my Sister-in-law for her wedding day and she looked so fantastic in it- I've been obsessed ever since. And to me- fascinators are the epitome of Vintage Modern. They look fresh and cool, but definitely have that old-fashioned movie star thing going on.
Aine Headband

RC: What is next for you?  Where can people see more of your work?
BA:  I have future designs that will be coming out in Interweave Crochet, Love of Crochet, and Crochetscene - yay! People can find all of my designs on Ravelry. I have two books (Crochet Ever After, and Beastly Crochet ) which can be found at bookstores and online at the Interweave store. I teach an interactive online Craftsy Class called Crochet Mittens and Fingerless Gloves. I also have a dvd available called 3D Crochet where I teach techniques for making super-duper cute amigurumi and other 3D crocheted things.

You can find more about Brenda at:
Her books, dvd, and designs at the interweave store.
Ravelry
Craftsy
Facebook


No comments: